"Immediately, after my surgery I felt relief in my hip! The pressure was gone, no more excruciating pain at all!"
"I returned to work in 2.5 weeks post-op. I cannot be more pleased with the outcome from my total knee arthroplasty."
"16 days after surgery, I swam 1,000 meters! Shoulder replacement is an enhancement to your lifestyle, not a disability."
"After trying Spinal Cord Stimulation at OSC and I've never been better. I hiked Mt. Rainer in the summer of 2022 with the help of my stimulator."
"Dr. Carlson performed multiple lumbar spinal fusions. 7 months later, I was skiing at Wintergreen!"
Where Is Your Pain?
Ankle & Foot
Hand & Wrist
How can we help you?
What Our Patients Are Saying
- I have nothing but the highest regard for Dr. Joel Stewart, as well as the staff I have encountered at Orthopaedic and Spine Center, and the people who cared for me on the day of my surgery at Sentara Princess Anne hospital. My surgery has gone remarkably smoothly, and less than two weeks afterwards I am completely back to normal - oh, except without that horrible, painful bump on the bottom of my foot! I am so grateful to everyone, but especially to Dr. Stewart for his expertise,... Read More
Diane Kyrus – Mass Removal Surgery
- I visited Dr. Andrus for extreme pelvic and hip pain associated with lower back problems. I initially received an injection to relieve the pain in my hip. The injection was not effective for me. Rather than receiving another injection, I elected to visit Dr. Andrus for pain management. She immediately identified the specific area in my lumbar spine causing the pain in my pelvic and hip areas. She recommended physical therapy, which included lumbar traction and various exercises for my ailing... Read More
Harriette Hoagland - Pain Management & Physical Therapy
- I had my left hip replaced the summer of 2013, and had a very good recovery. I came home the same day, had minimal discomfort and I was able to drive within 3 days. Dr. Haynes felt I would have a couple of years before my right hip would affect the quality of my life. July, 2015, I had the right hip replaced. I knew what to expect this time. Same great outcome. I am now 3 months post-op, and very happy with my recovery. I am a nurse and was familiar with the posterior approach for hip... Read More
Vanessa Wood - Jiffy Hip Replacement
- My name is Karen Levy and I am 66 years old. I had pain in my left hip for about 2 years. Based on the description of my symptoms, my Primary Care Physician sent me to an Orthopaedic Specialist. He treated me for bursitis, gave me a cortisone injection in my hip bursa and sent me to Physical Therapy. None of that treatment worked and the pain persisted. I had seen Dr. Jeffrey Carlson at OSC before and loved him. I made an appointment with him to get an opinion on my pain and what... Read More
Karen Levy - Direct Anterior (Jiffy) Hip Replacement
- I have had chronic back and hip pain since the ‘80s. I have tried everything for relief. I have been to chiropractors and all kinds of doctors. Even 5 back surgeries (with rods, screws and even a spine fusion) didn’t fix me and narcotic pain pills did nothing to relieve my pain. Although my physicians meant well and really tried to help me, it seemed like nothing was working. I hurt all the time. I was referred to Dr. Raj Sureja by my PCP. After seeing Dr. Sureja a few times, he... Read More
Lorraine Saunders - Spinal Cord Stimulator for Pain Management
- I had a total right hip replacement on 29 July by Dr. Burrow. He visited me several times in the hospital, and with the follow-up visits, I have gained complete confidence in him. After having hip pain and being limited these last 5+ years, I recently walked down 200 steps and back up to visit a waterfall in West Virginia! Dr. Burrow also did some knee repair on my husband earlier this summer. Go Dr.... Read More
Ramona White - Hip Replacement
- Hello there everyone, my name is Ms. In Suk Bolton from Hampton, Virginia. My physician's name is Dr. Jeffrey Carlson, Orthopaedic Surgeon at the Orthopaedic & Spine Center in Newport News, Va. The reason that I went to see him was because, for over 5+ years, I have been battling and dealing with really bad Sciatic Nerve Pain, which was the result of having no bone cartilage in between my 4 lower lumbar discs in the spinal column. As a result, the spinal cord was being pressed and rubbed... Read More
In Suk Bolton - Multi-level Lumbar Spinal Fusion Surgery
- My name is Sherry L. Miller and I am a 55 year old female who had been suffering for over two years with arthritis in my hips. I started seeing Dr. Burrow two years ago due to the pain and progressive difficulty in walking. Dr. Burrow tried several non-surgical approaches over the time, but in the end we decided that it would be best to proceed with full hip replacements. I had never had major surgery, so I had a fair amount of apprehension about going into the hospital. I talked with Dr.... Read More
Sherry Miller - Hip Surgery
- I just want to say that my lower back was in bad shape. and I was in a lot of pain ,then I went to see Dr. McFarland and he took one look at my MRI and said he could fix that and I would not have anymore pain. After waking up from major lower back surgery, I had no more pain and was back to normal in six months. Dr. McFarland is the best at what he does and you should feel blessed to have him for your doctor. William... Read More
William Benton - Spine Surgery
- Nine days after a total hip replacement, performed by Dr. John Burrow, I am pain free, walking normally without my previous limp, and sleeping, pain-free, all night. After seven months of progressively worsening pain, I found I was unable to walk even short distances, without the assistance of a walker. A full night's sleep was a thing of the past. On a scale of 0 to 10 with 10 being the worse, my pain level was 8 to 10 every day. I was depressed that I could no longer walk to the mailbox or... Read More
Joyce Britt - Hip Replacement
- I would like to share my experience with a surgery performed by Dr. Haynes. I had been "putting off" Carpal Tunnel surgery that I should have had done years ago. Needless to say, I let it go long enough, that I have been told that I do have some nerve damage that is irreversible…that was my stupidity. I got to the point that I couldn't sleep more than an hour or two at night without having my hand and arm wake me with pain shooting throughout from my armpit to the end of my fingers. Dr.... Read More
Charles B. Haywood Jr. - Carpal Tunnel
- I asked my Rheumatologist to recommend an Orthopedic Surgeon that he would personally use himself and he recommended Dr. Robert Snyder of OSC. So, I had a consultation with Dr. Snyder and did some research on my own and in July of 2013, I had Bilateral Knee Replacements on the inside portion of my knees by Dr. Snyder. Dr. Snyder uses the ConforMis System, which is a patient-specific replacement system and this really appealed to me, as it should provide a better fitting and functioning... Read More
Ben Poter - Bilateral Knee Replacements (ConforMIS)
- I am a 69 year old male and my name is Harry Szczutkowski. I had to have neck surgery done in which my disc had to be replaced. I have been blessed in a way, that when I needed them, I have found the best doctors in their fields. Dr. Mark McFarland is right up there among the top of the list. His skills as a surgeon are first class and he has compassion, and is positive and caring. He is on top of the playing field. I would like to take this time to thank you, Dr. McFarland, and may... Read More
Harry Szczutkowski - Cervical Spine Fusion
- A year ago, I came to Dr. Haynes about the pain in my knee. I was very confident in him giving me the best advice, since he helped years earlier with my left knee with injections. I was ready for surgery at that time. Dr. Haynes suggested we try medicine first to help with the arthritis. I tried 2 different medicines with a little relief. I came back a couple of months later,but didn't have complete relief. Dr. Haynes suggested a cortisone shot. I felt great for about a month and I was back... Read More
Janice Day - Partial Knee Replacement
- My name is Donna and I would highly recommend Dr. Martin Coleman and this facility. They went over and beyond to accommodate my needs. They do their own x-rays, open MRI and surgeries within steps away from their offices, which is very accommodating. When you arrive you check-in with the receptionist, which has always been very friendly. I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes to be called back, very impressive. Dr. Coleman is very passionate about his profession and answered all my... Read More
Donna Gundersen - Shoulder Surgery
- I was born with many handicaps and I once had a doctor in Norfolk, but my back never was right. I had car accident and I was told Dr. Jeffrey Carlson was the best. He has done three back surgeries for me and I have to tell you, I won’t let anyone touch me but Dr. Carlson! He is the best! I have had two knee replacements and one hip replacement and the other doctors at OSC did them. People ask me, "Cindy, how do you even move with all the rods and equipment?" I tell them "go see these... Read More
Cynthia Payne - Spine Surgeries, Hip and Knee Replacements
- I suffered complications (severe numbness, tingling, weakness, and pain) from bulging cervical discs for about three years. During the year before cervical fusion (C6/C7) surgery, I was calling out sick from work, missing family events, and not sleeping well because of the pain and discomfort. I had gone from doing 50 push-ups in one minute to not being able to do a single push-up at all. After several medication trials with my PCP, we found a combination of two that managed the pain (one... Read More
Brian Carlsen - Cervical Spine Fusion
- I would like to commend my personal physician, Dr. Boyd Haynes, who recently handled both my knee replacement surgeries. Dr. Haynes epitomizes the word “preeminence,” as a consummate professional with both superb skills as a surgeon, as well as an excellent “bedside” manner. I liked his conservative and logical approach to attacking both my knee issues. Due to his professionalism, by the time the decision was made to have surgery, I felt extremely comfortable with Dr.... Read More
David Coes - Knee Replacement Surgeries
At OSC, our providers, physician assistants and nurse practitioners are highly trained to make sure your care is second to none.
250 Nat Turner Boulevard, Newport News VA 23606
Make An Appointment
Schedule an appointment with our highly skilled, multidisciplinary team of orthopaedic and spine specialists.