Our Spine Fellowship trained and board-certified specialists, Jeffrey R. Carlson, MD, and Mark W. McFarland, DO, handle all types of spine care, from arthritis treatment to complex cervical and lumbar spinal reconstruction surgeries, achieving great outcomes for their patients. They are accepting new patients and appointments can be made by calling 757-596-1900.
Experience Excellence at OSC.
In the News in 2021
- Dr. Jeffrey Carlson performed the first implantation of a Boston Scientific WaveWriter Alpha ImageReadyTM MRI Compatible Spinal Cord Stimulator on the Peninsula and the first in an Ambulatory Surgery Center in Hampton Roads, at Coastal Virginia Surgery Center in Newport News, VA. – March 3, 2021
- Dr. Jeffrey Carlson performed what is believed to be the first three-level lumbar interbody fusion surgery in an ambulatory surgery center in the United States at Coastal Virginia Surgery Center in Newport, News, VA. – March 3, 2021
- Dr. Jeffrey Carlson interviewed by Alan Condon for Becker’s Spine Review about what minimally invasive spine surgery means to him and offered advice for surgeons migrating higher acuity cases to the outpatient setting – March 26th, 2021
- Dr. Mark McFarland performs the first Lumbar Fusion on the Peninsula using the Medacta My Spine® Patient Specific Navigation System – May 17, 2021
- Dr. Mark McFarland performs the first Stryker SpineJack®System Kyphoplasty in Hampton Roads, VA – August 2, 2021
- Drs. Jeffrey Carlson and Mark McFarland are recognized by their physician peers as 2021 Hampton Roads Top Docs, in a survey conducted by Coastal Virginia Magazine.
- Dr. Mark McFarland recognized by Becker’s Spine Review in 10 Spine Surgeons to Know
- Dr. Mark McFarland performs the first implant of the Globus Sable® expandable lumbar interbody cage on the Peninsula – December 22, 2021