Dr. Mark McFarland joined OSC in 2005. He is a board-certified and fellowship-trained Spine Specialist. His practice is focused primarily on the care and treatment of injuries and disorders of the spine. He specializes in Less-Exposure Spine Surgery (LESS), which is minimally invasive and is less traumatic for the patient. Dr. McFarland is an innovator in advanced surgical techniques for cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine procedures. Because of recent advancements in spine surgery technique and instrumentation, most spine surgeries are performed as outpatient procedures. For others, the patient will need to spend only one night in the hospital.
Dr. McFarland’s practice also encompasses the field of Regenerative Medicine, which uses the body’s own healing properties to naturally restore and rebuilding injured or diseased tissues, due to conditions like sports injuries or arthritis. Stem Cell injections are a proven alternative to surgery for patients who meet specific criteria and whose conditions fall within the mild to moderate severity range.
Dr. McFarland completed an in-office kyphoplasty at OSC in July, 2012, which is believed to be a first in this geographic region. This procedure is typically done in a hospital setting, but because of recent developments, including more sophisticated surgical kits and local anesthesia techniques, OSC is now able to do kyphoplasty as an in-office procedure. Dr. McFarland states that this equipment eliminates (for the majority of people) the need for general anesthesia. As a result, this makes it easy for a physician to do this procedure in an office setting, using live x-ray technology to assure accuracy during the procedure.
In addition to his extensive medical commitments, Dr. McFarland enjoys hiking, water-sports, golf and quality time with his family.
Education, Training, and Affiliations
- B.S., Physiology, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK
- Physician Assistant, University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Stillwater, OK
- D.O., Oklahoma State University College of Medicine, Stillwater, OK
- Internship, Orthopaedics, Ohio University Doctors Hospital, Massillon, OH
- Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, Ohio University Doctors Hospital, Massillon, OH
- Fellowship, Orthopaedic Spine Surgery, Florida Spine Institute, Clearwater, FL
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, American College of Osteopathic Surgeons
- Member, Ohio Osteopathic Association
Awards and Recognition
- 2020 Virginia Living Magazine “Virginia Top Doctor 2020”
- 2018 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Docs”
- 2017 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Docs”
- 2016 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Docs”
- 2015 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Docs”
To make an appointment with Dr. Mark McFarland, use our online form or call our office. To learn more about the procedures available at Orthopaedic & Spine Center, view some educational videos in our virtual Patient Center.