Dr. Bob Snyder joined OSC in 1994. He is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon whose practice is primarily focused on arthroscopy of the knee and shoulder, as well as total joint replacement and treatment for sports-related injuries. Dr. Snyder is a competitive handball player and has also had a partial knee replacement. As an active athlete, he greatly understands a patient’s drive to return to the game quickly and with the best performance level possible. His personal experience with knee replacement and arthroscopic surgery on his shoulder, ankle and knee, help him to better understand patients who are feeling pain and discomfort from their musculoskeletal conditions.
Dr. Snyder spent many years in the U.S. Army, finishing his military career as the Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery at the United States Military Academy at West Point. Dr. Snyder retired from the Army as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1994, which is the year he joined OSC. Dr. Snyder was the first orthopaedic surgeon in the area to utilize the ConforMis partial and total knee replacement system. ConforMis is a computer mapped, patient-specific knee replacement system designed to conform to the patient’s unique anatomy. This results in a less traumatic procedure, significant bone preservation, natural feel and superior fit.
Dr. Snyder and his wife Candy have four children, four grandchildren, three Golden Retrievers and five cats. Dr. Snyder has played competitive handball for over 40 years, playing on average three times per week. He often travels great distances for handball tournaments. Dr. Snyder also enjoys running and golf, when he finds the time.
Education, Training, and Affiliations
- B.S., Engineering, United States Military Academy, West Point, NY
- M.D., Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD
- Internship, Categorical Surgery, William Beaumont Army Medical Center, El Paso, TX
- Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, William Beaumont Army Medical Center, El Paso, TX
- Diplomat, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, Medical Society of Virginia
- Member, Virginia Orthopaedic Society
Awards and Recognition
- 2013 Hampton Roads Magazine “Top Docs”
- 2012 Hampton Roads Magazine “Top Docs”
To make an appointment with Dr. Bob Snyder or one of our other orthopedic professionals, call our office today or connect with our online Patient Portal.