Dr. Mark McFarland joined the Orthopaedic and Spine Center in 2005. He is a board-certified and fellowship-trained orthopaedic spine surgeon. His practice is focused primarily on the care and treatment of disorders and injuries to the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine. He specialized in computer navigated and Less Exposure Spine Surgery (LESS). These procedures are minimally invasive and less traumatic for the patient.
Dr. McFarland is an innovator in advanced surgical techniques and has been a developer or consultant on many of the least invasive products found in use today. He has performed many of the first outpatient procedures involving the spine and hip for many disorders. Dr. McFarland’s surgical practice follows a valued team approach, with a surgically trained physician assistant and nurse practitioner to assure a unique, respectful, and minimally invasive experience.
In 2012, Dr. McFarland completed what is believed to be the first in-office kyphoplasty in the geographic region. This procedure is typically done in a hospital setting, but with sophisticated surgical kits and local anesthesia techniques, OSC can do kyphoplasty as an in-office procedure. The equipment eliminates (for most people) the need for general anesthesia. As a result, this makes it easy for a physician to do this procedure in an office setting, using live x-ray technology to assure accuracy during the procedure.
Education, Training, and Affiliations
- B.S., Physiology, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK
- Physician Assistant, University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Stillwater, OK
- D.O., Oklahoma State University College of Medicine, Stillwater, OK
- Internship, Orthopaedics, Ohio University Doctors Hospital, Massillon, OH
- Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, Ohio University Doctors Hospital, Massillon, OH
- Fellowship, Orthopaedic Spine Surgery, Florida Spine Institute, Clearwater, FL
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, American College of Osteopathic Surgeons
- Member, Ohio Osteopathic Association
Awards and Recognition
- 2022 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc”
- 2021 Becker’s Spine Review “Spine Surgeons to Know”
- 2021 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc”
- 2020 Virginia Living Magazine “Virginia Top Doctor 2020”
- 2018 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc”
- 2017 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc”
- 2016 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc”
- 2015 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc”
Make an appointment with Orthopedic Surgeon, Dr. Mark McFarland
Call (757) 596-1900 to schedule an appointment with Dr. McFarland. Visit our Contact Us page for information on office hours. Our office is located in Newport News, VA. We are 40 minutes from Virginia Beach and an hour from Richmond, VA.