Dr. Martin Coleman is an orthopaedic surgeon specializing in disorders of the shoulder who joined OSC in 2002. Dr. Coleman received his undergraduate degree at Harvard College and went to medical school at the New York University School of Medicine. Upon completion of medical school, he interned and did his first year of residency in General Surgery at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Coleman then completed his residency in orthopaedic surgery at the same facility. His first appointment was in orthopaedic surgery at United Hospital Center in Clarksburg, WV. Dr. Coleman opened his own practice in 1985 in Havertown, PA, which he operated until relocating to Hampton Roads, Virginia, to join OSC in 2002.
Dr. Coleman’s practice focuses on disorders of the shoulder. As the technology has advanced over the years, he has adapted arthroscopic surgical techniques to treat severe tendonitis and rotator cuff tears almost exclusively by way of minimally-invasive techniques that result in a more comfortable recovery for his patients. Dr. Coleman is also especially excited about reverse total shoulder arthroplasty, a type of replacement that can provide a solution for patients with arthritis and chronic cuff tears who could not be helped in the past. In addition to his extensive medical commitments, Dr. Coleman enjoys traveling, movies, good books and spending time with his family.
Education, Training and Affiliations
- Harvard College, Cambridge, MA
- M.D., New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY
- Internship and Residency, General Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, Newport News Medical Society
- Member, Virginia Orthopaedic Society
Call (757) 596-1900 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Coleman. Visit our Contact Us page for information on office hours. Our office is located in Newport News, VA. We are 40 minutes from Virginia Beach and an hour from Richmond, VA.
Contact Orthopaedic & Spine Center in Newport News, VA, to set up an appointment with Dr. Martin Coleman or one of our other orthopedists.