Dr. Raj Sureja joined OSC in 2008 as a board-certified, fellowship-trained Interventional Pain Management Doctor. His practice is focused on pain reduction of the spine and spine-related disorders through minimally-invasive interventional procedures. Dr. Sureja enjoys being a pain management specialist because he feels tremendous personal and professional satisfaction in being able to help people feel better. Dr. Sureja has been named a “Top Doc” in Pain Medicine every year since 2012 by Coastal Virginia Magazine, chosen by his peers in the medical community.
His favorite therapies to perform are vertebroplasty, kyphoplasty and spinal cord stimulation because patients typically see results immediately and they can be done in-office at OSC. In fact, Dr. Sureja was the first physician in the Hampton Roads region of Virginia to perform an in-office vertebroplasty and one of two to perform in-office kyphoplasty. Dr. Sureja has an excellent rate of success with his patients who are treated with spinal cord stimulation. He firmly believes that this orthopedic technology works for the great benefit of the patient.
With these therapies, Dr. Sureja sees amazing improvements in quality of life for patients young and old, and several of our patients have returned to high level physical activity such as running, competitive swimming, and horseback riding.
In addition to his medical commitments, Dr. Sureja leads a busy personal life and is the proud father of four children. When he’s not spending time with his family, Dr. Sureja is an avid golfer, triathlete and runner. He is an age-group winner of many 5k and 10k races. Dr. Sureja is also a huge Baltimore Ravens and Orioles fan, and enjoys playing cornhole, pickup basketball, and bocce.
Education, Training, and Affiliations
- B.S., Biology/Pre-Med, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA
- M.D., Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA
- Internship, Internal medicine, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA
- Residency, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA
- Fellowship, Interventional Pain Management, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA
- Board Certified, Interventional Pain Medicine by the American Board of Specialties
- Diplomate, American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Member, American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
- Member, North American Spine Society
- Member, American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Member, American Medical Association
Awards and Recognition
- 2022 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc”
- 2022 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc All Star” (at least five years consecutively)
- 2021 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc”
- 2021 Three Best Rated Pain Management Doctors in Newport News, VA
- 2020 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc”
- 2020 Virginia Living Magazine “Virginia Top Doctor 2020”
- 2019 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc”
- 2018 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc”
- 2017 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc”
- 2016 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc”
- 2015 Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc”
- 2014 Coastal Virginia Magazine (formerly Hampton Roads Magazine) “Top Doc”
- 2013 Hampton Roads Magazine “Top Doc”
- 2012 Hampton Roads Magazine “Top Doc”
Call (757) 596-1900 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Sureja. Visit our Contact Us page for information on office hours. Our office is located in Newport News, VA. We are 40 minutes from Virginia Beach and an hour from Richmond, VA.