Foot and Ankle Care
Foot and ankle pain is a common disorder. Almost 80% of the U.S. population will experience foot pain in their lives. At Orthopaedic & Spine Center, we believe that no one should have to live with painful feet. We are trained and equipped to diagnose and treat all problems involving the foot and ankle. We treat people of all ages for problems such as calluses, bunions, plantar fibromas, as well as serious sports injuries and boney deformities. Many foot and ankle problems can be remedied with conservative care, including Physical Therapy, behavior modification, medical management and the use of correctional orthotic devices. For patients with conditions that fail to respond to conservative care, surgical intervention may be necessary.
Orthopaedic & Spine Center is dedicated to keeping our patients’ feet in the healthiest condition. The goal of this team is to relieve patients of pain and to return function and enjoyment to everyday activities.
The human foot is comprised of a complex set of bones (26), joints (33), and over one hundred ligaments, muscles and tendons. All of these work together to create an amazing piece of anatomy, at the end of our legs, which allows us to stand, bear weight, walk, run, skip, hop and leap. A foot can be so sensitive that the slightest touch makes the owner giggle uncontrollably or it can withstand walking on burning coals or on broken glass. Because our feet take so much abuse, it is no wonder they can hurt. Our Foot & Ankle team is well-equipped to handle any foot problem that walks in the door, from diagnosis to treatment. Although most treatments are conservative and do not require surgical intervention, we can handle simple foot problems to complex surgical reconstructions.
Make an appointment for Foot and Ankle Care
Call (757) 596-1900 to schedule an appointment with OSC. Visit our Contact Us page for information on office hours. Our office is located in Newport News, VA. We are 40 minutes from Virginia Beach and an hour from Richmond, VA.
What Our Patients Are Saying
- I have nothing but the highest regard for Dr. Joel Stewart, as well as the staff I have encountered at Orthopaedic and Spine Center, and the people who cared for me on the day of my surgery at Sentara Princess Anne hospital. My surgery has gone remarkably smoothly, and less than two weeks afterwards I am completely back to normal – oh, except without that horrible, painful bump on the bottom of my foot! I am so grateful to everyone, but especially to Dr. Stewart for his expertise,… Read More
Diane Kyrus – Mass Removal Surgery
- I had a great toe fusion on my left foot. One week after surgery, I was doing great. My foot looks excellent. I have never had a Dr./surgeon like Dr. Joel Stewart. He is very caring, has compassion for his patients, has an excellent bedside manner and a good personality. He also is very professional. He explains your diagnoses and what is the best treatment for you. I am and will keep on referring people to him. I give him a ten stars. I also give his staff and nurses a 10. They are very… Read More
Lora Harrell – Great Toe Fusion Surgery
- Dr. Bob Snyder fixed my bunion on January 19th, 2019. I waited 8 months to evaluate my results because that is about normal for total healing. It came out perfectly – exactly in accordance with what Dr. Snyder told me was going to happen. Pain is gone. I’m wearing shoes I thought would never fit again. My foot looks normal. His patient engagement and care are just right. One reason I went to him for surgery was his interaction with me as a person versus just another foot surgery. In… Read More
Tony Cerri – Bunion Repair Surgery
- During the summer of 2012, I ruptured my right Achilles Tendon. Physical Activity is a big part of my life, so I sought the best solution and Orthopedic Surgeon in the community. I was referred to Dr. Boyd Haynes. After my visit with Dr. Haynes we set a date for surgery. Dr. Haynes informed me that he was having great success in placing the patient in a boot only and not the traditional casting and immobilization. I was excited to hear this optimism and the news that I could be up and moving… Read More
Steven Kast – Achilles Tendon Repair Surgery
- I had a lumbar fusion on June 8th of this year, performed by the McFarland team. Every step of the way exceeded my expectations. Dr. Mark McFarland listened to me, answered questions, and explained in a way that made me comfortable with the whole process. I had a lumbar fusion six years earlier (different hospital and doctor), my leg and foot have bothered me ever since. Don’t get me wrong, that surgery was necessary, and I was much better off after the 1st procedure than before. However,… Read More
Bill LaManque – Lumbar Fusion Surgery
- I just returned from my one year follow-up appointment, what a difference a year makes! My case was complex, and the patient (me) high-maintenance…and Dr. Joel Stewart took it all on! Dr. Stewart thoroughly examined me and my ankle and laid my options out in a practical and precise manner…he listened to what I wanted in terms of outcome and really helped me to make some difficult decisions. He tailored the operation according to my specific needs…I felt like he was not making me fit into… Read More