Orthopaedic and Spine Center logo
Home > Services > Knee Care > Meniscus Care > Diagnosing a Meniscal Tear

Diagnosing a Meniscal Tear

We recommend seeing an orthopaedic physician if you suspect you have a meniscal tear. He or she will perform a physical exam, ask you questions about past injuries, activity level, and what you were doing when your knee started to hurt. The physician will check for range of motion and stability. He or she will also assess tenderness along the joint where the meniscus sits, which can signify a tear. Depending on what the exam shows, you may need to have a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) study to examine the knee and surrounding tissue. This will help confirm the diagnosis.

Return to the Meniscus Care page.

Make An Appointment

Schedule an appointment with our highly skilled, multidisciplinary team of orthopaedic and spine specialists.